Completion Conversations

Welcome to the Completion Conversations homepage.  Here you will find a VERY preliminary list of resources that might help contribute to our discussion.  Please feel free to suggest others (and please let me know if some of the links don’t work).

At the bottom of the list of Resources, you will see a Completion Conversations Forum.  I have posted an initial topic as a jumping off point, but I hope others will do the same.  Please note that you need a CUNY Commons account to participate in discussions.

Partial and Preliminary  Resources:

Fain, P. (2016).  Completion and the Value of College. Inside Higher Ed (December).

G2 Education and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (2017, Aug 23)  Student Voices: Getting in, Getting Through and Getting Beyond College. To a Degree [Audio Podcast]. Episode 8.
CL Note: To a Degree is a podcast joint produced by G2 and The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  You can check out the whole series here.   I chose this particular episode for two reasons: it’s one of the few resources that includes student voices (though whether these voices are broadly representative is an open question), and,  for better or worse, it’s a fairly accurate representation of the Gates ideology (as indicated by the moderator’s editorializing and his often leading questions).

Humphreys, D (2012). What’s Wrong with the Completion Agenda and What We Can Do About It. Liberal Education (Winter).

Lu, M. and Horner B. (2009).  Composing in a Global-Local Context: Careers, Mobility,                    Skills.  College English (72.2).
CL Note: So this article does not technically address the completion agenda, but it influenced my thinking about “instrumentlism” back in my composition instructor days, and it continues to shape my thinking now.  Having reread the article just last week, I think that Lu and Horner get to the heart of the dilemma of completion when they ask, “How might individual students best go about composing a sustainable life work…?”

Phillips, B. and Horowitz, J (2013) . Maximizing Data Use: A Focus on the Completion AgendaNew Directions for Community Colleges (Winter).

Raby, R.L.; Friedel, J.N; Valeu, E.J. (2017) Comparing Completion Agendas at Community Colleges and Global Counterparts. New Directions for Community Colleges. 177 (Spring)

Rhoades, G. (2012). The Incomplete Completion Agenda: Implications for Academe and the Academy. Liberal Education (Winter).

Please share your thoughts on the issues raised by the competition agenda by posting to:

The Completion Conversations Forum